Thursday, April 22, 2010

My old Kentucky Home :AO Style

My Old Kentucky Home: AO Style
Although we like to believe that, as International President, our visitations are important to expose fraters to the “bigger picture,” and to learn more about the scope of Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity, one of the most important reasons that Alpha Omega’s International President visits many local chapters is to realize how many wonderful fraters there are all over the world.
I left New York this past Saturday afternoon, after spending the day in my office, to visit our alumni and students in the Louisville area. My airplane arrived in the evening, just as the Thunder celebration was to begin (FYI, Thunder is the official beginning of the two week celebration proceeding the Kentucky Derby on May 1st). Thunder is a celebration and fireworks exhibition that takes place in Louisville, and is one of the major occurrences in the city. Larry Gettleman was kind enough to pick me up and negotiate the traffic and street closures associated with the celebration. Larry had made my reservation at a lovely Bed and Breakfast in downtown Louisville, and served as my “personal guide” and fabulous host for much of my stay. After Larry dropped me off at the Inn, I walked about a mile and a half down to see what Thunder was all about. When I told the “locals” the next day, many of them were amazed and nearly beside themselves, for fear for my safety. I told them that as a New Yorker, we have no fear. What a great beginning to the visit - - truly beginning with a bang!
The female fraters spent Sunday on the famous Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and Richard Halpern was kind enough to serve as our “designated driver.” Great fun and great camaraderie and it was extra special because a recent Louisville grad Tori Sandoval, who is now practicing in Kingman Arizona was able to join us. I even tasted Fried Pickles! That evening a group of fraters including Rachel Davis and Les and Hannah Davis went to a comedy club, and we got to know each other better, while laughing away with the comedians, one of whom was the brother of Frater.
Early Monday morning, Larry Gettleman picked me up, and took me over to the University Of Louisville School Of Dentistry. Dean John J. Sauk and I had a very fruitful and open conversation, and we spent over a half hour together. I also was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend some time with Assistant Dean Wood Currens. During my tour of the dental school, I mentioned that my father-in-law was not only a University of Louisville Dental School graduate, but was also President of both the Dental Alumni Association, as well as the University Alumni Association, over sixty years. I was immediately taken over to a wall that had the pictures of the 1939 graduates, and for those of you that knew PIP Eli Brody, he looked much the same then as later on in life. I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the students, and particularly enjoyed my one-on-one conversations. I was then planning to enjoy a casual lunch with the AO students, but because of late arriving pizzas, it gave me the opportunity to also address the entire sophomore class, and assist in doing a “Rush” program.
Larry then took me to meet Louisville’s long-time Mayor Jerry Abramson, a “nice Jewish boy,” who is retiring as Mayor and is considering “moving up.” We shared a laugh as I recommended President, because I told him that I was enjoying the position. Larry then brought me over to discuss the details of a 911 Medical ID Card Plus program that Max Behr is helping us with. This appears to be a win-win situation for fraters and the fraternity and our patients, and in the near future, I hope we are able to “cross all the T’s” and get the details to you! We are continuously striving to bring you valuable member benefits!
Since we still had a little time before the evening’s festivities, Larry drove me over to Churchill Downs. This was very exciting to me because I am a former equestrian and Eli worked at the Derby when he was in dental school. Larry then drove me back to the University Club, where I attended and addressed the students and alumni at a dinner honoring graduating seniors. One of the topics discussed was AO’s involvement in RAM. Alpha Omega has taken a lead role in a program known as RAM (Rural Access to Medicine), which helps bring health care to Louisville’s under-served. To me, that is what GOHI is all about! At the dinner, I had the honor to present a 50 Year Pin to Hirschel Weinberg, as well as President’s Pins to outgoing alumni President Scott Norton, and Student Chapter President Mike Rowe. At our last International Convention, two prestigious awards were given to Louisville fraters. I had the honor and privilege of presenting the Young Alumni Member Award to Rachel Davis, and Certificate of Merit Recipient Larry Gettleman. Amongst the Louisville fraters who were such hospitable hosts were Howard Green, Harold Hamburg, Herschel Weinberg, Max Behr, Robert Mann, Howard Klein, David Fox, Alan Gouls, Les Davis, and, of course the new chapter president Rachel Davis and Larry Gettleman. I also want to thank Richard Halpern for all his assistance. (He and Rachel are two thirds of the Student Activities Committee and doing a great job with Andrea Heckler.)
Tuesday morning, Larry got up very early to drive me to the airport for my early flight back to New York. I bid a fond farewell to a great city, with great hosts, and fraters who epitomize the three sides of Alpha Omega’s triangle!
I arrived back in New York, and Tuesday evening, your Admin held our weekly conference call to assure that your fraternity remains on track with all its objectives. Be on the lookout for The Articulator editor Shawn Groyeski, working with Fred and Marcy, which should be out soon. Very soon, the very exciting details about our new Medical Protective Programs for graduating students will be sent to all graduating students. Keep your eyes out for this letter and application.
The Seattle leadership program is fast approaching. You can still sign up - contact Mike Tenenbaum at: TENEDENT@aol.com. Another one in Boston is scheduled for the Fall, so plan ahead if you are unable to be in Seattle. I urge you to take advantage and learn from these great programs! If you have not yet made your reservations for the upcoming International Convention in San Diego, please plan on attending, because it will certainly be a convention full of fun, value, events, CE, and Alpha Omega’s special fraternalism. Go to: aosunnydays2010.ao.org for full details! I look forward to greeting you there!
On a more somber note, International Editor Fred Margolis has been informed of certain health issues that will require attention and special care. Let us all say a “mischer be-ach” for a full and speedy recovery and return to health! We all love Fred and I am sure that our common love and respect for him will be a source of strength for him during his recovery.
Now, it’s time to leave again for Detroit where a fabulous weekend of fraternalism and professionalism is planned. I will report the details in next week’s Blog.


PLEASE VISIT: www.AmericasToothfairy.org for
TOMORROW's SMILE UPDATES & OPPORTUNITIES

No comments:

Post a Comment